Monday, September 10, 2012

Deer in the Headlights

So I have gone from one extreme to the other. I went from living in 24/7 community in a city of a million people, surrounded by constant doorbell ringing, team hosting, and home visits to living in the schticks about a million miles from civilization. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I live between a lake and a park. I can't see my nearest neighbor. And the only thing making noise in my yard are Chip and Dale chasing each other around the pine trees. The familiar valediction from my phone calls with my parents of "watch out for deer" has once again become routine. Thanks, mom.

Actually, I was reminded of that all-too-familiar ending to our conversations tonight as I was coming home from a book study. On one of the back country roads, my shortcut home, I caught the glimpse of three deer crossing the road about 100 yards in front of where I was heading. They were already across and heading away from the only man made path in sight. As I crested the next hill, though, I saw a long stream of single headlights coming in the opposite direction. A herd of motorcycles enjoying a night ride. I did the only thing I could think of to warn them, I flashed my lights. The first motorcycle flashed back, probably thinking he had left his high beams on or something. So I did the only thing I could think of to do next: pray for their protection of more deer crossing the road in front of them. Deer + motorcycle = never a good idea.

I am usually a cautious driver on the country roads at night, anyway, but my mother's advice had been ringing in my brain since the time I lost sight of street lights and I was prepared in the event of a Bambi spotting. In seeing the deer on the road and avoiding danger, I had experience on that stretch of road that I wanted to share with others traveling the same road. From their point of view, though, it was merely another beautiful night for a ride and were unaware of what could spell disaster.


How true is this in life? On our life's journey, we may see and avoid danger before it happens, due to good advice from people who love us. When we are headed in a path or direction and see others traveling the same road, we should try to warn them of the danger we see ahead of them to try to protect them from needless harm. And when we can't make our message clear, the best thing to do is always pray protection over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment