Monday, February 18, 2013

The Sisterhood of the Traveling One-Size-Does-Not-Fit-All Tupperware

The journey has not ended, it has only just begun. I thought it was about time for an update, seeing as my life in Tupperware continues for just a bit longer :) So here's the update:

January in Michigan marked the onslaught of sub-zero temperatures and snows measured in feet. The job search continued with an accumulated total of almost 95 applications, 16 phone interviews, and 6 face-to-face interviews. I knew I was getting desperate when I applied for a job at the local David's Bridal that a friend had recommended (she also works there) and desperation turned to depression when I couldn't even land that job. Always a bridesmaid, never a bridal consultant. 

Then it happened. My friend, Sarah, who lives in LA, posted on facebook that there was an opening in her apartment for a roommate. "Hold it for me!!!! PICK ME PICK ME!!!" I posted, half serious, half kidding. Less than a minute later I opened up the job query. I have never had a strong desire to move to California. It just never appealed to me. I always considered it a fun place to visit, but never a place where one could actually live. Isn't it completely populated by gorgeous models and glamorous starlets? Do normal, jeans-clad, one-piece-bathing-suit-wearing people actually making their own coffee in the morning and send their children off to school on a yellow school bus? Aren't their school buses covered in Swarovski crystals? But heck, you only live once, so I opened up my favorite job board (on my favorites toolbar in the browser, of course) and typed in Pediatric Speech Therapy in Los Angeles, Cal-i-forn-i-a. Up popped a job at Simi Valley Hospital at a child development center. The job description looked inline with what I was looking for, so I applied for it. Within 12 hours I got a phone call. It was the hospital and they were interested in my resume. 


 
And then the fun begins. I had two separate hour-long phone interviews with the hospital. I had decided that if I was really serious about the job I would need to go visit. I mean, finding a job online is like internet dating. You can sell anything over the internet or phone, but until you meet in person and have that chemistry, no sale.  Once again on facebook a post caught my eye: my RA from college, who lives in downtown Chicago, posted that she was flying to LA at the end of January for a work conference, who was going to be out there? I e-mailed right away that I was also tentatively planning a trip to LA, what were the details? Long story short, I ended up driving to Chicago, staying with my friend, and we were on THE SAME FLIGHT to LA. She lives 6 blocks off the L in Chicago that goes right into O'Hare. Crazy. 

The long and the short of it is, I flew out to LA for a week and spent two full days at the hospital and clinic. I really liked it. They offered me the job at the end of the second day and I accepted it. 

The Tupperware will be making a cross-country journey at the end of March and I start the job in the middle of April (I had to apply for a California Speech Pathology license and it takes 10 weeks to process). Keep your eyes peeled for updates on the trip out. My mom and I will be making the drive out together in March in my Civic and the movers will be heading out a bit later with the Tupperware. Woot woot!!

Thank you all for your prayers and support as I was making the transition. Thank you for all the prayers while I was in the "cave" resting and waiting on the Lord. I'm very excited about this next phase and to see where Jesus will take me next!!! 




1 comment: