Friday, March 23, 2012

"I want my crown back" and other things I've asked God as of late.

"I want my crown back." I made this rather audacious statement to God in January.


Let me give you the back story. I started the Princess Club in June to teach the girls about our inheritance as daughters of the King of kings and our position in the kingdom of God. I have really enjoyed expanding off of this theme. I actually think I have learned more than the girls ♥


As teams have come down, I have asked the women and teens of each group to become involved in the Princess Club as well. Most teams bring down princess themed crafts or stickers or funny little frilly things. Some times the groups even plan lessons for the girls. It has been great to teach the girls about various kingdoms around the world and how there are princesses of God everywhere!!!


Me and a couple princesses...
Along the way one of my favorite princesses, okay, she's actually a queen, Cindy Schmidt, from the New Life church in Ohio, came on a team prepared to work with the princesses. I love this woman because, well, she's a lot like me. We have a very similar sense of humor and find amusement in the same ridiculous things. She's also been VERY supportive of the club (let's just say she helped coordinate 50 pounds of princess materials to be brought down by the church for the start of the club!!!) She came on a team at the beginning of the club and she happened to come again in January, when I had the club for the older girls. If you remember from a previous blog post, her team came prepared to make jewelry with the teens. We had such a great time!! She also brought me a special charm: a little, silver crown charm on a necklace chain. I LOVED that crown charm!! She called it gaudy. I called it AWESOME!! I wore it that night during the princess club (it's in the picture above). And every day after.


Cindy and I looking very princess-y in front of the church
So during those days I was walking up to Carmen's every day to wash her foot. I would put my crown necklace on, put my bag on, walk up and get Seidy, and head to Carmen's for the morning. I showed both women my crown charm, thrilled to have such a cool symbol of the princess club to carry with me. It was a great way to bring up the whole topic of being a princess of God in conversation as people commented on the necklace. One day on my way back to the house....I noticed the crown charm was gone!!! Missing from the chain!!! The metal loop it was hanging from must have broken when my bag rubbed against it!! I was DEVASTATED!! My crown from Cindy!! I scoured the neighborhood. I retraced my steps carefully, looking for the charm. I called Carmen to see if it had fallen off in her house. I called Seidy to look for it by her house. Nothing. From the poopy street to the high place, I looked for my missing crown. Nothing. For weeks I kept my eyes glued to the ground, looking for my crown charm. For the first few days I asked God to show me where it was. Praying that I would have eyes to see it. Then I heard a message about being bold in bringing our petitions before God. So I was bold. I said "God, I want my crown back." That was it. And I said it every day. For a month. I didn't lose hope or faith, but as more teams came and busyness crept in, I stopped reminding God about my crown every day. I stopped looking down quite as much, hoping to see it spontaneously appear on the road. But at the beginning of the week I reminded him again. Just once under my breath as I was crossing the bridge alone. "God, I want my crown back. Please."


Fast forward to today. Seidy called me last night saying she had a gift for me. Nothing big or special, just something little. I walked up to her house with the ladies from the Portland team who were here. She welcomed us into her home and we visited for a while. She had Sherry, her daughter, grab the gift from her room. I was so excited. I had no idea what it was, but I was excited. I love little gifts!! She handed me a little packet...with a crown charm on a little cord!!!! It was almost IDENTICAL to the one Cindy had given to me!!! I couldn't believe it!! Here was exactly what I had been asking God for months to return to me. And here it was!! I couldn't stop laughing. I told her how she was the answer to my very bold request to God.


My lost-now-found crown charm :)


Wow. I can't stop thinking about this. How awesome is God, right?!? I mean, he really does care about the little things in our lives. And if He cares enough to return my cheap-o crown charm because of my persistent asking, how much more does He care about the big things in my life, too?!? Some times I think we get so afraid of offending God that we hold back from asking him for...anything...big OR small.


In a small way, it reminds me of one of my favorite parables:

Luke 18

The Parable of the Persistent Widow
 1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’    4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
 6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”


While finding my crown was not a matter of justice, it mattered to me. Enough to constantly ask God about it. Enough to get an answer. It makes me even more excited to press in for the big things. Like to see people healed. To see people freed from addiction. To see people over come poverty. To have people's dignity returned. To have people's freedom returned. To have people's joy found again. What do you want to have returned? What has gone missing in your life that you want God to bring back? Are you willing to be persistent in crying out for it? With boldness?


Here are some other verses to ponder:


1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.


Ask, Seek, Knock- Matthew 7:7-12
    7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.    9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment