Friday, February 24, 2012

To run the good race

The Need for Self-Discipline  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)... You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? (Galatians 5:7)... Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart (Hebrews 12:1-3)... But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses (1 Timothy 6:11-12)... I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing (1 Timothy 4:7-8)...
What race are you running? What prize are you seeking? What are you training for?
I love this picture. The caption under it talked about how in reality it didn't matter who won the race, it was all about the look on their faces for finishing. It is obvious they were running that race with all of their hearts, all of their souls, and all of their mights. I wonder if some day my face will have that same look of intensity as I cross my finish line into eternity? To have persevered in this crazy race called life? How will your face look?

No comments:

Post a Comment